A news release from the local chapter of the Red Cross:
Help Disaster Victims
Mitchell – People affected by disasters like the earthquake in Haiti need your help. Your donation to the American Red Cross provides immediate relief and long-term support through supplies, technical assistance, and other support to help people in need.
- $5 provides a water container to store clean drinking water
- $10 provides a blanket that is appropriate to the climate and culture of the disaster-affected area
- $25 provides a family of 5 with a kitchen set giving them the ability to cook and serve food (a disaster can destroy even the most basic family possessions and restoring family’s self-sufficiency is essential). This includes two cooking pots, a frying pan, bowls, plates, cups, and utensils.
- $30 provides essential hygiene materials to 5 people for one month (ensuring adequate hygiene after a disaster is essential in promoting the health of those affected). This includes items like a toothbrush and toothpaste, shampoo, body soap, laundry soap, toilet paper, sanitary pads, a razor and a towel.
- $60 provides tarps, rope, wood and tools for a family of five to build a temporary shelter. (2 tarps, rope, hoe, machete, tin snips, handsaw, roofing nails, shovel, long nails, tie wire, claw hammer)
- $100 provides a cooking set, hygiene pack, blankets, and water containers for one family of five following a disaster.
- $500 provides a family tent for a family of 5
Your help is urgently needed. Call 1-800-Red Cross or visit www.redcross.org or send your contribution to your local Dakota Plains Chapter of the American Red Cross office at PO Box 535, Mitchell SD 57301.